Tuesday 1 February 2011

Red on Black

I found today in my old chest
A little metal hook.
I thought of time long laid to rest -
Blurred pages of my book.

A friend gave me a corset once
That she could not fit on.
I used to lace it up and dance
When I was home alone.

Bright red, with fancy black lace trim,
It looked like earth on fire.
The way it dazzled on pale skin
Was something to admire.

It didn't let me bend or slouch,
For which I was so thankful!
Instead of crying on the couch
I learned to do my handful.

Red satin boned by steel, it was
My female battle armour
Reminding me that I still had
A claim to charm and glamour.

It's been five years and now I have
A corset made to measure.
I have moved on but not forgot
My red-with-black-lace treasure.

A friend came crying to my door
And said her life was ruined.
I pulled the corset out the draw
And told her she could do it.

2 comments:

  1. Love this poem. It creates vivid imagery and I like the strong link between emotion and object.

    ReplyDelete